December 2, 2012

I never catch the whole Mumford & Sons song on the radio.

It's true. I always get there during the "People are probably tired of hearing the chorus over and over, let's stop singing" part.

I also never catch Gangnam Style, or Dynamite. I always get them near the end. Stinks.

Well, this has been a really long week, feels like. I skipped church last Sunday, because I was tired, and running low on gas. I didn't have babysitting on Monday, which was nice because again, I was low on gas. I went to the Prison with dad on Tuesday, and organized reading materials/cleaned up his office some more. I don't know what happened after those two days...I worked at the gym, and had workouts. Things really didn't get going until Friday, because I got paid some monies and could live my life a little bit.

Story!

Thursday night, I was washing the dishes, and thinking about what to do the next day. Mom and dad were taking grandma to a doctor appointment, so I figured I'd go out. My plan was to go read at Wicked Big, an indie coffee house in Haverhill that I've always really liked, even before I went inside, but never get to go to as often as I like because their hours are easy to miss. It's tiny, but they're food and coffee are good, and the atmosphere is cozy, and I've been slowly slipping away from my Starbucks craze and falling in love with the independent scene. Don't get me wrong, I frequent Starbucks all the time. I don't have much choice because they're open until 9 pm, not 5 pm. It's easier to hang out there.

Anyway, forgive my rabbit trail. So, I'm washing dishes. Thinking about going to Wicked Big. Suddenly, an idea pops into my head: "I wonder if Wicked Big would let me volunteer as a barista?" The idea is so out of this world that I'm thinking about it more, and figuring how I could ask about it, and if they'd be willing to do that....take someone in and teach them how to make coffee? "They would HAVE to be open to the idea, if they weren't going to pay me..."

Similar to my gym phenomenon, I'm pretty this idea was God-sent. I tell my mom about the idea, and she mulls it over a little bit, and says that she thinks it's a good idea. I mean, the worst that could happen is that they would say no, right? Yeah, pretty much.

So, I'm excited. This could be my in to the coffee world, finally! I go to bed feeling pretty good about it, hoping that I don't lose my nerve to ask in the morning.

When I wake up, a lot is ging through my head. "Should I ask? Should I even go today? What if it's busy? If it's busy I won't ask. What if the manager isn't there? I'll definitely lose my nerve by Monday. No, I have to go. I have to! It's my only chance to ask."

So, go I did. As an answer to prayer, it was not busy, and the manager happened to be the only guy working. I had kind of rehearsed how to present the idea, and when he was free to talk, I kind of just put it out there.

"Have you considered...would you be open to the idea of a..volunteer barista?" His eyebrows raised, interested. I told him about how this is something that I really want to do (which he replied to with a surprised, "Really?"), that I tried to get work at Starbucks, but they wouldn't hire me because I have no experience. I told him that I'd like to have my own coffee shop one day, but I can't do that until I learn how to make coffee and stuff!

He was really nice about it, and to my absolute surprise, he said yes right away! He said that I'd need to write a letter saying that I'd take responsibility for anything that could happen to me, hopefully not, and we discussed when I could come in (Tuesday afternoons.)

I don't think he (his name is Mohammad, by the way,) knows quite how thrilled I am that he's letting me do this. I am THRILLED. I'm so excited that I FINALLY get to do what I've been wanting to do for so long.

My mom swayed me into the fact that technically, I'm not going to be a volunteer. I'm an apprentice, because I'm learning "the trade," as it were. I'm totally cool with that. Who knows what all of this could lead to?? I'm just thrilled to pieces, though.

It's possible, I suppose, that I could end up hating this, and never want to own a business, and never want to make coffee for people, but I don't think so.

I think I would have hated working at Starbucks. I don't think I'm a corporate, "work for the man" kind of girl. I'm happy to benefit from people who do work for the man, though. I dig corporations.

So, thank you, workers of corporate America. Life wouldn't be the same without you.

I've also gotten a good handful of Christmas shopping done this weekend. I'm done shopping for about three people, but I have a couple solid idea for a couple others. My dad, Jill & Kate, and my cousins, Nic and Kyle are who I have no idea for. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. No clue.

I hate that! You'd think after a few years of knowing my dad I'd be able to think of something :P

Oh, well. Maybe I can find old emails with Christmas lists in them...people probably haven't changed too much.

Unfortunately, there aren't any gifts that I'm giving that I'm like, SO EXCITED about. I mean, they're really nice, and I like them, but you know how it feels to be like, "OH EM GEE I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO OPEN YOUR GIFTSSSSS!!!!!!" I love that feeling. I love buying gifts for people, so it's lame sauce when I can't think of anything awesome.

OH! I need to do my advent calendar item for today!

So, things are going well. I did get some surprising, and momentarily unsettling news this week, on Thursday, but since Thursday, things have been such a blur of excitement, that my emotions have settled down about it.

I still have mixed feelings, though.

Anyhow, that's my life. Back to a normal (but new!) schedule this week. It's Christmastime, and I'm really happy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment