February 10, 2014

Turquoise.

I received a turquoise ring in the mail today. I don't know how long I've had the desire, but for as long as I can remember I've wanted a turquoise ring. I recently determined that the reason I wanted a turquoise ring was because of "Little Women." In the book, scarlet fever comes into the March home and Amy, having not had the illness yet, is sent to her Aunt March's until it's safe for her to come home. While there, when asked what she would like to have of her Aunt's when her Aunt passes away, Amy says a turquoise ring and determines to be good enough to earn it.

(Sounds like all of my school reports, amiright?)

I think that's where the inspiration is from, which is appropriate because "Little Women" is probably my favorite book of all time. When I really think about it, no book has influenced and inspired me about love, independence, femininity, and passion more than that book. In fact, a friend and I are supposed to be reading it for our resurrected two-man book club, but I have yet to begin.

I had the chance to talk with a friend from college today. He wrote me on Facebook, and we wrote on and off throughout the afternoon. I love talking to him, and he's one of the few people (that aren't my really close girlfriends,) that I've actually reconnected to and caught up with periodically. Talking to him is always encouraging, so that was a nice way to start my week. So, shout out to Igor, because he might read this. :) *waves*

The past couple weeks have been really neat, when it comes to socializing. That sounds weird, but for someone who doesn't do much, it's been really nice. A group of people from work (and a couple spouses) went to see "The Monuments Men" last night. (Spoiler Alert: not worth watching in theatres. Wait until it's on Netflix.) It's just fun - between going out to dinner with people, hanging around after work, etc...it's a good time.

Work is going well. Sometimes, I get hit with waves of major insecurity that I'm not doing well enough to excel in the company. (Ugh, I sound like a such a boring business man!) After I've been stuck in the funk for a little while, I talk myself out of it by reminding myself that I'm there because I love what I'm doing, and that I'm happy where I am, and that I'm not AWFUL at my job. I also remind myself that it's good to push myself, and I just analyze where I am. I try to see where I can do better. I try to think, "If I had to run the store on my own, would I be able to do A, B, or C?" (Assuming that there are no customers, and disregarding shift supervisor duties.) It's pretty basic for the first half of the day, but once I hit late afternoon into the evening (until right before closing) I get mixed up on what to do, and when. This has been my issue for a while, but I'm trying really hard to pay attention when I close or pre-close to what those who are more versed in it all are doing.

So...I'm good, and I'm okay with being good, but I am trying to be better.

This past month, I've been doing the famous "30-day Shred." Tomorrow is my last day, (Shhhh, I missed ONE day. After so long of getting it done EVERY DAY, I did miss a day.) I don't feel very shredded, but I do know that physically I have reaped some rewards. I shot myself in the foot somewhere during level two when it came to eating, and neglecting my morning smoothies, which is why it wasn't more effective for me. But I own that, and I'm going to do it again, soon. I also pre-registered for a 5K in Haverhill this summer. That's pretty exciting. I did it on a whim (I mean, Haverhill is five seconds away...it'd be dumb to not try). I now have a goal for the Couch to 5K program that I didn't get to finish last Fall. So...fitness, overall doing well.

Love life...nothing going on there in the physical realm, but I'm believing God for some pretty crazy stuff.

I have gifts to mail people. Things that were going to be Christmas gifts, and then were going to be birthday gifts, and are now going to be "Just because you're awesome and deserve a gift" gifts. This goes out to Anna and Joanna. I'm sorry that I'm a terrible person.

Oh! So, my birthday is this Friday. I have the day off, and no plans. HOWEVER, the celebration has already begun because my friend Samantha made me gluten-free sugar cookies with a sugar silhouette of Benedict Cumberbatch. THEY ARE AMAZING AND DELICIOUS. I have one left. I saved the most perfect silhouette for last so that I could take a proper picture. She is literally so creative, it's ridiculous.

Lastly, everyone is getting married and/or pregnant. This is not a cry for pity from a single person, it's just a crazy fact! Both of my friends, Allix and Alex, are pregnant. I was in each of their weddings, as well. It's pretty much delightful and exciting.

That's all. Nothing special, just life.

No comments:

Post a Comment