February 16, 2014

Amazed.

I am literally blown away.

Let's recap my life a little bit, okay? I had wanted to work for Starbucks for about 5-7 years before I finally got hired. About a month or so before I had the interview that sealed my fate with the company, I discovered the Barista Guild of America.

"Baristas have a guild?" Yeah, we do, so take that anyone who thinks that barista isn't even an official title.

So, I freaked out that this was a thing. There's certification classes you can take to be a CERTIFIED barista, and if I became certified, then Starbucks or any other coffee place would have no reason NOT to hire me, and how awesome would it be to know everything to know about this stuff?

Then I saw the prices. Cha. Ching.

Well...I'm sure that if I don't spend any money ever again, I could have enough for a plane ticket to Portland in five years...

So, that exciting dream and venture got set aside. And then, March comes around and I get offered a job on the spot at my store. Dream come true. Amazing, thrilling, and I have almost been there for a year. I love my job, and I'm still so thankful, and blessed, and honored to work there.

Then today came. I was watching a documentary about young kids becoming professional dancers. These kids and their families do whatever it takes for them to reach their goals and have their dreams come true. And I thought to myself about my barista aspirations...and I said to myself, I want to learn more. I want to do more. I am learning a lot at work, but there's more to learn that I can't really learn at work because of what I'm doing...my job. There isn't a lot of opportunity to stop and have the chance to learn the way that I want to. Not at the fault of the company, but it is a job. I have to work, I can't just sit around learning and practicing.

So I think to myself: There must be a place that has classes in Boston. I look, and I find one. It's fairly affordable, and mom encourages me to sign up. Then the question gets brought up about who is teaching the class, does it have any other benefits, etc...

So I come back, full circle, to the SCAA and the BGA. I find that there is a place in MA that is offering the ENTIRE level one certification program in April. There's a discount for members of the BArista Guild of America.

So I did it. I joined. I'm going to talk to my boss about finagling that weekend in April together, and Lord willing, I'm actually on my way to reaching levels of "barista life" that I only dreamed about.

I'm so excited. I'm shocked, amazed, and thrilled. I had a feeling that this year was going to be exciting - I can't wait to see what else the Lord has in store!

And now, please understand me. I'm not trying to say that God only has exciting, happy things in store for us. But I know that stuff like this doesn't just happen. I don't deserve this, but God knows the desires of out hearts, and He DOES get pleasure in blessing us. IT's important to still be thankful when things aren't going the way we want. But it's not wrong to get excitement out of the good that happens, either! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment